Voices from the Amazon: Land, People, and Religion
A conference on “Voices from the Amazon: Land, People, and Religion” will spark deep conversations and ideas on 5 October, one day before the synod begins.
The conference will include Mons. Hector Cabrejos, OFM, President of the Episcopal Conference of Latin America, Fr. Julio Bunader, Vicar General of the Order of Friars Minor, Patricia Gualinga, Sarayaku Leader, Ecuador, and many more. Please see full program here.
This conference is an opportunity to discuss the synod with synodal fathers and indigenous leaders one day before it begins. Seating is limited–please register as soon as possible.
IMPORTANT: The conference will be held in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese. English translation will not be provided.
8.15 Registration and Greetings
9.00 Opening and Introductions
- Fr. Augustin Hernandez, Dean of the Antonianum Pontifical University
- Fr. Julio Bunader, OFM, Vicar General of the Order Friars Minor
- Senator Patty L’Abbate, representing the Minister of the Environment and the Environmental Commission of the Senate of the Republic of Italy
- Video projection by the Italian Space Agency
9.15 Voices of the local governments
Moderator: Fr. Agustin Hernandez, OFM, Dean of the Pontifical University Antonianum
- S. E. Mrs. María Elvira Velásquez Rivas-Plata, Ambassador of Peru to the Holy See
- S.E. Mr. Julio Eduardo Martinetti Macedo, Ambassador of Peru to Italy
- S.E. Jorge Mario Eastman, Ambassador of Colombia to the Holy See
Moderator: Sara Muzzi – Secretary of the Italian Center di Lullismo, Antonianum Pontifical University
- Patricia Gualinga, Sarayaku Leader, Ecuador
- Sister Laura Vicuña, Amazonian indigenous community, Brazil
- José Luiz Cassupá, indigenous leader from Rondônia, Brasile
- Fr. João Messias Sousa, OFM Munduruku Leader, Brazil
14.00 Synodal Church for Integral Ecology and Laudato Si’
Moderator: Tomás Insua, Executive Director of the Global Catholic Climate Movement
- Sarah duPont, Producer and Co-Director, “River of Gold”
- Mons. Hector Cabrejos, OFM, President of the Episcopal Conference of Latin America
- Tania Ávila, Coordinator of the Amerindian Network–Cochabamba and Indigenous Theologian
- Deacon Alirio Cáceres, CELAM integral ecology program & Global Catholic Climate Movement
15.30 Closing remarks
Fr. Valmir Ramos, Order of Friars Minor General Definitor